29 August, 2015

For a few dollars more...

A gift to my mother found its way back to me in September 2006 as she felt I would put it to better use. The digital camera would go on to become an extension of my hand, and photography a lifelong hobby!

My first digital camera - Nikon Coolpix L1

The Nikon Coolpix L1 takes good stills and is particularly good at macro photos.

The Coolpix L1 is, however, not best suited for bird photography. It has a slow shutter which makes it difficult to shoot moving objects. The low 5x zoom (which was high for a point-and-shoot digicam about 10 years back!) also prevents clear viewing of birds at a moderate distance. The camera was soon upstaged in the tech market by sleeker models boasting higher zoom with better resolution, but I decided to stick it out with the L1.

The sudden access to taking a large number of photos without the worry of spending for a film encouraged me to use the camera to take all kinds of photos, including those of birds near home in Bangalore. I realized I enjoyed photography and I stuck to it as a hobby through my Master's degree at the University of Sussex, England, and towards the beginning of my research career at the National Brain Research Centre in Manesar, Haryana, India.

After 3 years at NBRC and getting a feel for the rich biodiversity of the place, I decided to invest in a new camera. My continued interest in birds and insects, animals and nature demanded the use of multiple lenses with a DSLR which I could not afford at the time (and probably still can't!)

So in November 2013, I decided to invest in an "all-purpose" point-and-shoot digicam, the Canon Powershot SX50 HS.

Canon Powershot SX50 HS
Canon Powershot SX50 HS

With a 24-1200mm range (50x zoom) the camera is great at bringing subjects at a wide range of distances into focus. The camera has very impressive image stabilization, a sharp sensor and colorful display. It seemed like the best buy in the market when I bought it, but even this camera was soon upstaged in the tech market, by Canon themselves! The Powershot SX60HS with 65x zoom and a few extra features! But again, I decided to stick it out with the SX50 and have no regrets.

All of the bird photos posted on this blog were taken using the Canon Powershot SX50 HS...

Note: I have also tried other point-and-shoot digital cameras such as the Nikon Coolpix L810 (26x zoom) and the Canon Powershot SX60 HS (65x zoom). The Canon clearly outperforms the Nikon with respect to zoom, image stabilization, auto-focus and color display .